Chalkboard Paint Checklist
Chalkboard paint allows you to create your own usable chalkboard on nearly any smooth surface. Mixing your own chalkboard paint is easy and gives you the ability to create a chalkboard in nearly any color.
- Any color is fine
- A similar glass or plastic container also works
- A small paint stirrer or plastic spoon would work, too
- Choose any size and shape
- Fill a mason jar or similar container with 1 cup (250 ml) of matte latex paint
- Add 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of unsanded tile grout to the paint. Mix together using a popsicle stick or paint stirrer
- Use the popsicle stick to break up any lumps of grout as you mix it into the paint.
- Take the glass or plexiglass out of the picture frame. Set the frame and frame backboard aside. Work only with the glass
- Apply one coat of your homemade chalkboard paint onto the glass. Use a sponge brush and work in even, vertical strokes
- Allow the paint to dry for 30 to 60 minutes, or until it no longer feels sticky
- Apply a second coat of chalkboard paint over the first. As before, use a sponge brush and paint in consistent, vertical strokes
- Wait one to two hours for the paint to finish drying before handling the chalkboard further
- Gently brush the chalkboard with 150-grit sandpaper to smooth away any brush strokes or lines
- Cover the entire chalkboard with chalk. Doing so "cures" the paint and prepares it for regular use
- Wipe away the chalk on the chalkboard using a felt eraser. You could use a wet towel or sponge instead of a felt eraser if you want an even cleaner board
- Slide the painted glass back into the picture frame. Secure it to the frame using the frame's backboard
- The chalkboard is now complete. You can write or draw on it as you would do with any other chalkboard
- 3 views today
- Use black paint to create a conventional chalkboard. Try another paint color for something more unique.
- Apply chalkboard paint to nearly any smooth surface. You can use it on mugs, stones, walls, serving trays, and more.
- Save time by purchasing commercial chalkboard paint instead of preparing your own.