- General Checks
- Your name is on every page.
- The title is given in full on the first page.
- The pages are numbered.
- The line spacing is set correctly
- The margins are wide enough for a tutor’s comments.
- The word count is given.
- A bibliography and/ or list of references is included.
- You have answered all parts of the question.
- Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation
- Use the spell checker on your computer.
- Read the script for spelling mistakes (names and specialised terminology, right usage of forms such as ‘to’, ‘too’).
- Correct use of apostrophes, commas, full stops, colons, inverted commas.
- Correct use of subjects (nouns or pronouns) and verbs.
- Correct use of tense for your verbs.
- Make sure the sentences are not too long, split into shorter sentences if necessary.
- Use a question mark just for questions.
- Be sure you know the meaning of the words you’ve used.
- Make sure you haven’t used the same word too many times.
- Expressing yourself clearly.
- Make sure there an introduction which relates to the question.
- All the paragraphs have one main idea.
- There is a clear conclusion.
- Writing flow smoothly from one section/paragraph to the next.
Read the paper aloud.
Proofread one sentence at a time.
Proofread once more, looking for problems you know of in your writing.