Caring for your gold, silver and gemstone jewelry can be done at home with our Jewelry Cleaning Checklist. Diamonds are forever and can be cleaned frequently, but take precautions when polishing your pearls! Our Jewelry Cleaning Checklist outlines how to properly care for all your precious baubles.
- Gemstones are not meant for vigorous daily cleanings. Instead, use a soft jewelry cloth for polishing.
- Garnets and Amethysts are harder, more durable stones. Gems like Aquamarine and Turqoise are not as hard, so scrub gently.
- If you're unsure about how to properly clean your gemstone, its best to err on the side of caution. Use the mild soap-water solution with a clean cotton cloth.
- Don't wear gems while swimming, doing chores, or exercising. They're more prone to scratches. Sweat and dirt can damage the surface of your jewelry, as can the chemicals used in cleaning or swimming pools.
- Avoid ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machines for gemstones other than diamonds. These can damage most softer gemstones, and will ruin pearls.